Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowed In...

We've been snowed in for two days. Temperatures are cold outside, but inside we are warm and cozy. We've played games and watched movies, cuddled and kidded- all in all, it's been a lovely experience. It's so nice having Daddy around for awhile.

Being a home schooler means we don't have snow days. We still do our school work, but there's no rush. We can take more time, and I enjoy that a lot. Today, we had a long discussion about science in the bible. Noah finished his first Junie B. Jones book. He is not even six years old. I'm so proud of both my boys. They are brilliant little men. This is partially biological, I'm sure. My husband is a brain, as well. It makes me curious what our future daughter will be like. How much will be nature; how much will be nurture. It's a curious thought rolling around in my head as of late.

We begin our foster parent training on Saturday. They emailed the schedule to us. It's full of topics that make me pause. I know we will learn a lot. And I'm quite sure it will sadden my heart. There are so many kids who struggle. I was so blessed. My biological children are so blessed. It's easy to forget that things could have gone a different way...

A few weeks ago, Dad had emergency gallbladder surgery. I was able to go back to Waco to be with them for a few days. No long enough for me, but it was what I could do. Mom has had two chemotherapy treatments now. She is doing well, but it's incredibly exhausting. I hate that I'm not there to lighten the load, cook soup or play a distracting game of cards. It just kills me.

On the other hand, how blessed am I to have had a mother who has loved me so completely for my whole life? A father who never failed to provide or protect? Or to have a family that keeps me here? Trying to focus on the blessings of today. It's the best use of time, I think.

The boys went outside in the 16 degree weather. They lasted all of twelve minutes! What a blessing to have a warm house to return to- propane wall heaters, blankets and cozy beds. Thinking of the children right here in our neck of the woods who aren't so lucky. Praying that we can make a difference in at least one of their lives. Looking forward to the opportunity.

No comments: