Sunday, August 24, 2008

Homeschooling Begins...

Although I had not anticipated beginning our homeschooling until September, we began last Thursday, upon Levi's insistence. I figure, when your child is asking to be taught, you should probably teach him. At any rate, we begin each morning with a prayer. Both mornings he has prayed, "Thank you that I don't have to leave my Mommy all day to go to school." It's funny- I never thought he would consider that a perk. I asked him if he had missed me at school and he said, "Sure, Mom." We start with Bible, then Language Arts followed by a 15 minute juice break, then Math. On MWF, we have History/Geography and Science, as well. On T/TR we have a scheduled reading time. We'll try to pick library books that coordinate with our curriculum, as often as possible. On Thursdays, he has private art lessons for an hour, as well. I'm finding this to be a real bonding experience with Levi. He likes to play with words and be creative in a way that's very disruptive in a classroom full of kids- but here, it's just my son being goofy and I can go goofy right along with him until it's time to refocus on the task at hand. We begin at 9 a.m. and end by 1 o'clock each day (with some breaks in there). So far, we've stayed right on schedule. That shouldn't surprise most of you who know how anal I can be. Beginning in September, Noah starts at CBA three mornings a week. That will help- although Noah has done really well so far. He even sat in on half of our language arts class- he seemed to enjoy listening to our lesson. So far, so good. I'm thankful that we haven't had any meltdowns as of yet, but realistic enough to know that they're probably just around the corner. We have a wedding in TX to go to on Friday. The nice thing about homeschooling is that we can just take our work on the road! Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. It feels like a lonely pursuit at times...and it's nice to have some good friends in our corner.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad things are going well. I having been thinking and praying for you both. Here's to continued success!

Emily said...

I always said if anyone could home school and do it well, it would be YOU! Congratulations on a great start! You are definately still in our prayers though! Love you Mika Jo!

Just where is this wedding in Texas???

Mika Hinson said...

Lubbock. Sorry to disappoint...

Browns said...

I am so proud of you! I know that you are going to be great at this--keep the faith!