Monday, April 7, 2008

Home On the Range...

What a weekend! The boys' uncle Micah got married to their new aunt Ashley this weekend in Abilene, Texas. We left Friday morning to go to Oklahoma City to pick up Josh's suit (he was the best man), then headed southwest to Abilene. Needless to say, it was a LONGGGGG day. Once we made it to Abilene, the boys enjoyed seeing family and getting lots of attention! The wedding went well. Levi was the ring barer and did an excellent job...stood there like a pro. Noah did his part to entertain everyone during the reception...all that cake and Dr. Pepper gave him a real rush! We were sad to leave, but had to get back to Ada last night.

The trip home was interesting. Noah only slept the first hour of the trip- much to our dismay. He attempted to get brother to play with him to no avail.

Noah "Bubba- play catch with me." (they had nerf balls)

Levi "I don't want to."

Noah "Bubba- PLEASE. It makes my heart happy!"

So, we stopped in Wichita Falls to spend the birthday money Aunt Janice had given him. He chose to get two pistols and a two holster belt. The funny part was trying to cut them loose from the packaging with no scissors. I finally had to take them back into Wal-Mart and ask Customer Service to cut the plastic securing straps for me. You can imagine what kind of looks I got carrying a GUN into Wal-Mart. "I promise it's a toy- here's the receipt." Oh dear. Anyway, half an hour later, we were back on the road with two "cowboys."

Levi "Let's pretend we're outside riding on the range, Noah."

Noah "No. We're in a car."

Levi "I know we're in a car, Noah- but let's PRETEND to be outside."

Noah "We're not outside...we're in a CAR."

Levi "I KNOW NOAH, but let's PRETEND to be outside like real cowboys!"

Noah "We're NOT outside, bubba...we're IN A CAR!"

Levi "YOU'RE SO NORMAL, NOAH! FINE! You be in a car. I'll pretend to be outside."

A few minutes of good play between an 8 year old and a 3 year old can be music to your ears on a long car trip. About 15 minutes later, this is what we heard.

Levi "Oh! I'm hit! Franky,...my son...take care of the ranch...I can't do it anymore."

Noah "Bubba let's pretend to go to sleep."

Levi "I can't Noah- I'm dead."

Noah "Time to wake up now...it's a sunny day! Time for breakfast!"

Levi "I can't eat breakfast, Noah- I'm dead."

Noah "WAKE UP, bubba! It's time for breakfast!"

Levi "Noah- I'M DEAD! I can't eat!"

Noah "I made weenies, bubba! Eat your weenie!"

Levi "Noah- I'M DEAD...I can't eat weenies!"

We were rolling! They did pretty well all the way home, considering how late it was and what big weekend we had. We got into Ada at 11:30. Levi crawled right into bed...Noah wanted to "play for a minute" and was disappointed that Mommy and Daddy didn't want to play, too. We were exhausted! But come rain or shine, those boys pile into our bed by 7:15 and it's off to the races again!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Love that picture. Such handsome boys!

Mike and Karon Freeman said...

Mika, one story that stands out when you were three years old came from Aunt Sharon and Uncle Herb. I am sure you remember them talking about it. For some reason Sharon and Herb were bringing you home from Texas. I had told you to be very good for them while you were traveling. Sharon said "Mika sat between us in the front seat of the car, with her hands in her lap, and she never budged ... except for her mouth. She didn't stop talking (entertaining) us until we got to McCook (600+ mile trip).

Another story was when you were traveling to Texas with Grandpa and Grandma. Grandpa had been driving and was getting sleepy. So, he asked Grandma to drive. Five minutes later -- after having you crawling all over him and talking nonstop, he said, "Rosalie, I'll give you a dollar if you will let me drive!" Fun memories!

Your Dad and I love you very much, and we are so thankful for the beautiful Christian wife and mother that you have become!

Anonymous said...

What a precious story! I love it!