We went to the city yesterday for an appointment. Afterwards, we went to the new theater in Moore...it's supposed to be the largest movie theater in Oklahoma. It was pretty cool! They have all kinds of amenities...an arcade, a diner, a bar/lounge, a waiting area with a fireplace, quiet rooms in the theaters for parents with crying babies, etc. We played in the arcade for about thirty minutes before getting our popcorn (free refills, by the way) and settling into the most comfortable movie theater seats I've ever sat in. We had promised the boys for two weeks that we would go see "Speed Racer." They were pumped! Talk about visual impact- this movie is full of in-your-face color. It's inspired by the Japanimation-like style of the old cartoon. INTENSE action scenes and lots of off-the-wall comedy in between. There are clearly defined good guys and bad guys. When the first bad guy was introduced to the audience (and he was EXTREMELY good at being bad), Noah looked at me and said, "Mommy, is Jesus in his heart?" Very intuitive, that one. However, I was very disappointed in the language of this movie. (by both good and bad guys) And there's one moment of a child flipping off an adult! GREAT! I was pleased, however, to hear my Levi commenting on those things afterward. "Why do they do that, Mom?" It started a pretty good conversation on the way home. We will definitely not own this one- seeing it once was enough. Very stimulating- and ultimately the message was a good one- cheaters never prosper- but the language and tone seemed mature for children. They repeated one curse word so many times, it was almost like they were drilling it into kids brains. They may as well have said, "This is an acceptable word- everyone says it all the time." Will Hollywood ever be held accountable for their choices? And will I, the consumer, ever learn to stand my ground and NOT give them my money? These were the thoughts filling my head all the way home. This was another movie that honored disobedience, by the way. So many children's movies seem to do that these days. Child disobeys parents and ends up saving the day...no consequences...just applause. How do you teach your children that you have their best interest at heart when Hollywood spends so much time telling them that THEY know better? We spoke a little about that on the way home, too. I'm curious about other opinions...maybe I'm too uptight. Josh thinks I am. I just worry about my kids...after all, the eyes are the window to the soul.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
the Window to the Soul...
We went to the city yesterday for an appointment. Afterwards, we went to the new theater in Moore...it's supposed to be the largest movie theater in Oklahoma. It was pretty cool! They have all kinds of amenities...an arcade, a diner, a bar/lounge, a waiting area with a fireplace, quiet rooms in the theaters for parents with crying babies, etc. We played in the arcade for about thirty minutes before getting our popcorn (free refills, by the way) and settling into the most comfortable movie theater seats I've ever sat in. We had promised the boys for two weeks that we would go see "Speed Racer." They were pumped! Talk about visual impact- this movie is full of in-your-face color. It's inspired by the Japanimation-like style of the old cartoon. INTENSE action scenes and lots of off-the-wall comedy in between. There are clearly defined good guys and bad guys. When the first bad guy was introduced to the audience (and he was EXTREMELY good at being bad), Noah looked at me and said, "Mommy, is Jesus in his heart?" Very intuitive, that one. However, I was very disappointed in the language of this movie. (by both good and bad guys) And there's one moment of a child flipping off an adult! GREAT! I was pleased, however, to hear my Levi commenting on those things afterward. "Why do they do that, Mom?" It started a pretty good conversation on the way home. We will definitely not own this one- seeing it once was enough. Very stimulating- and ultimately the message was a good one- cheaters never prosper- but the language and tone seemed mature for children. They repeated one curse word so many times, it was almost like they were drilling it into kids brains. They may as well have said, "This is an acceptable word- everyone says it all the time." Will Hollywood ever be held accountable for their choices? And will I, the consumer, ever learn to stand my ground and NOT give them my money? These were the thoughts filling my head all the way home. This was another movie that honored disobedience, by the way. So many children's movies seem to do that these days. Child disobeys parents and ends up saving the day...no consequences...just applause. How do you teach your children that you have their best interest at heart when Hollywood spends so much time telling them that THEY know better? We spoke a little about that on the way home, too. I'm curious about other opinions...maybe I'm too uptight. Josh thinks I am. I just worry about my kids...after all, the eyes are the window to the soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't think that you are uptight at all. In the world that we live in our children are exposed to things like that all of the time. I think that if we are lucky enough to be with them when they see things like that, we can make it into a teachable moment. They are going to hear stuff from all kinds off people, we can just be there to explain it all to them before someone else does.
This is my big delima about the birds and the bees talk right now. Do I bring it up because he has not asked about it, but has probably heard something on the playground by now.
I think you did a fantastic job talking to your kids about that. It is obvious in the way they responded that you are teaching them the morals that Hollywood doesn't have. You are an AWESOME mommy and you are doing a great job! We can't have them living in a bubble, although I think sometimes that would be easier! :)
Post a Comment