Levi started Gym N' Swim at ECU yesterday. It's an hour of fun activities in the gym and in the pool. He really enjoyed it. When I went to pick him up, however, I had an encounter of the "thanks for making me feel like a crappy parent" kind. There was another mother there who began talking to me. "So, you're homeschooling Levi this year?" she said. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" I replied. "You probably don't...but your son sure does. (pregnant pause) I do the detention school at Homer (his old school)." (and yes, you can imagine the "all-knowing" look on her face) "Oh. Well, I guess you do know Levi...yes, we're homeschooling." Then she said, "I asked him if he likes being homeschooled and he said yes. I told him I would, too...I mean- not having to get up on time or get ready in the morning sounds pretty good to me, too!" she said (with an air of judgment designed to make me feel ignorant). "Actually," I began, "we get up by 7:30 and start school at 9:00 each day. We're on a pretty strict schedule. He seems to do better that way- always has." She seemed surprised. "Oh." was her only reply.
Why say that? Why say any of that? Think before you talk, people. What was that? And why did I allow her to make me feel small all the way home?
That night, I had assigned Levi some homework. I knew I had probably given him way too much, but wanted to see how he would handle it. It was a two sided Math page (adding and subtracting three digits and problem solving on the back). Also, he had to look up the definitions for his vocabulary words in his new dictionary (we're learning to use guide words) and write them down. We didn't get home until 7:00. I had warned him to do it before we left, but he insisted on putting it off. Now, 7:00 was dinner time- so he didn't even get started until about 7:45. Normally, this would result in a temper tantrum, major tears and an argument followed by no homework completion. I am shocked to report that this was NOT the case last night. We had talked a lot about personal responsibility...and I guess maybe it's paying off. He stayed up until 10:00 last night working on that homework. A little slow, perhaps...at his own pace...but NO fit...NO tears...NO complaining. And at the end of it all, he was proud of what he had accomplished. Mom and Dad were, too.
This process is challenging...there are no easy answers for a kid like Levi...no light switch to flip. He has to flip it himself. Somedays he does. Somedays he doesn't. Last night he did and the rewards were great. It's getting through the days that he doesn't flip the switch that make me tired. But hearing what that woman said about Levi makes it seem like the right choice for sure. I don't want ANYONE labeling my child. He is NOT a trouble maker...he is a precious child with a bright future who needs someone to believe in him. And I do.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Unfortunately there are some really mean spirited people out there. And why those people work with children for a living is beyond me.
I had an incident with a teacher from Madalyn's school one time, and I thought if she can treat a parent that way, I would hate to see how she treats children!
I am proud of you for handling the situation so well, I am not so sure I would have been as good as you---you know, my red headedness would have come out :)
I am so sorry that lady is so miserable in her own life that she feels the need to belittle you and Levi. I think you are doing an awesome job and being a great parent. Keep up the good work and know that I support you 100%!
I hope she was just being thoughtless and having a bad day. I hope that is not her attitude all the time.
And good on you for persevering and believing in your son. Our kids all need someone to believe in them.
Post a Comment