Saturday, October 25, 2008

Neurotic or Normal?

I am a very untrusting person by nature. I don't think the worst of people, but I usually think the "what ifs." Raising children in Albuquerque (a bigger city) was very different than raising children here. In New Mexico, there were a lot of checks and balances. At church, at school- everywhere. Your child was tagged and you were tagged and no safety measures were too small. Here, things are a lot more laid back. Our church doesn't really have a drop off "system." Parents usually drop off their young children at the door of their classroom, but the older children take care of themselves, for the most part. It really bothered me at first. In fact, I'd say it took a good two years for me to accept it. But in the last two years, I've become so accustomed to it that I've almost become part of it. I find myself trusting people more- becoming a real laid-back Oklahoman, if you will. It's actually something I've been proud of- a way I felt like I had grown as an individual. From neurotic to normal...and I thought that was a good thing.

Then, Tuesday night, Levi's former music teacher (who taught him for 3 years) was arrested for and confessed to three acts of child molestation. This man was someone I completely trusted with my son. And his wife was Levi's kindergarten teacher and then principal. She has always been my absolute favorite person at Homer...she was, in fact, the reason we continued to stay there. I was in total shock that he was implicated and almost in disbelief that he confessed. All three incidents with her husband were with little girls- so I am not concerned about Levi (although we've talked about good and bad touches a lot more in the last two days). But I feel so sick...so disillusioned. How could I have become so comfortable? How could I have let down my guard so quickly here? And yet, how could I have possibly known?

Is it better to be neurotic- constantly questioning people's motives and the "what ifs" in life or to be "normal" and hope for the best in people? I think Jesus thought the best of everyone...everyone has hope in the Lord, after all. But it's difficult after something like this to ever think the best of anyone...because you never know...

Please pray for this situation...for the children, for the teachers, for the parents, for the administration, for the community, for his wife and for him, as well. This is a sad, sad time for many...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I worry as much as I can, but that is not very much because I am a very trusting person. I have friends that are appalled that I don't lock my backyard, or my front door for that matter. But I just choose to do the best I can, teach my children the best I can, and then at the end of the day it's just that this world sucks. Even if I worried all the time about everything there are still things that are in no way preventable. Such as earthquakes. So we enjoy life and love and live, and when the hard times come we will trust in God. Ecclesiastes is my favorite book for this type of thinking. "Life sucks, so enjoy what you can out of it".

That is totally sad about your friends though.