Okay so it's January...a new year...and I'm thinking about next Fall. I think initially, there was a big part of me that thought homeschooling for us would MAYBE last a year...and then back to public school ya go, don't let the door hit you on the way out! However, I find myself enjoying this experience more and more...and why am I so surprised by that? I love my children. I do. And this isn't easy. Trust me. But there is something I don't like about the idea of it ever ending. I find myself able to cuddle my 8 year old again...looking forward to our morning prayers together...anticipating his occasional comments like, "I like that you're my teacher, Mommy."...looking at what used to be everyday things as "educational opportunities." I never saw myself as a mother that would homeschool one of my children. Now I find myself considering homeschooling them both. Next year, Noah could enter our private pre-school at church (5 mornings a week) or attend any number of public schools in the area for either morning or full-day programs. I just keep thinking, "Well, I'm already here...what's the point?" I know it's not the social norm...and I'm sure many of you have opinions on the subject. I find myself constantly battling the "what ifs" involved...and I keep coming up with the same answer: I get one shot at raising these boys...ONE... I heard Dobson speak on that subject this morning as we drove Noah to CBA. "There's nothing more important than your child's spiritual growth. Nothing." I feel like I can give them something that public schools cannot. I know you can send them to school AND spiritually educate them at home. But with my schedule, it's next to impossible. I teach piano/voice as soon as school is out and until dinner time. By then, we're all wiped. I spent so little time with Levi last year. It makes me sad to think about it. I love that we're able to be together so often now.
I guess I'm thinking out loud here...or typing out loud...whatever. When it comes down to it, I just want your prayers about these decisions. It's heavy on my heart now...I'm one to regret...and I don't want to regret the big things.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I understand how you feel. Thankfully the jobs I take when I'm done being "just" a mom will all be during school hours. The question is which one will I choose? But I totally agree with the spiritual health thing. There is a war coming and our children need to be spiritually trained warriors.
Hope I didn't get too fanatic on you :)
I think our wonderful Heavenly Father will direct you and when you do His will your family will be blessed.
Post a Comment