Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Different Kind of Father's Day...

Wish Josh away on business, Father's Day seemed a bit odd. I filled both boys arms with things to carry to my bible class this morning and we headed down the sidewalk together. Noah was eager to give his things to Ms. Shawna as we entered the church and Levi took our breakfast treat to the classroom. We settled into our usual pew. Both boys were drawing with their light-up pens their Daddy gave them from his last business trip. Levi drew the Hulk and Noah scribbled all over the word find of the children's bulletin. Then Mr. John (our worship leader) asked us all to stand. To my amazement, halfway through the second song I realized that Noah was standing with us. I'm used to Levi singing- it still warms my heart- but I've become accustomed to it. Today, however, I got to hear a jarbled version of "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" come out of my three year olds mouth. He loved the chorus because most of the congregation claps. When we ended the first chorus and went back to the slower 2nd verse, he said, "Mommy- I want to clap again with everybody." I said, "Wait a minute." When the chorus came back, he watched Mommy carefully for the right beat and began clapping and singing- holding NOTHING back.

Now don't get me wrong. I have nothing against "a bulwark never failing" or "angels prostrate fall(ing)"...but that type of language is difficult for a kid to break down. As a child, I sang it like you would sing a foreign language song in choir...only without the translation below it...interpreting the syllables as sounds with no real meaning behind them. It makes my spirit rejoice, truly rejoice, to hear a three year old singing along with his brothers and sisters in Christ. It was a rare opportunity for me as a child. I recall moments when someone felt it fitting to sing "Jesus Loves Me" or "This Little Light of Mine"...but they were few and far between. And I know that many in our congregation wish that we would sing more of those older songs- and I do enjoy them from time to time. But I think if they'd have heard what I heard this morning, they would encourage us to sing the songs of a new generation.

It was a different kind of Father's Day for us. We celebrated with our earthly father Saturday night, offering cards with our own personal messages (or scribbles). But this morning, we celebrated with our heavenly Father- offering the same message (ages 3 to 31), "Blessed be the name of the Lord. Blessed be Your name!" It was one of those moments where, if for only a second, you realize that your children are also your brothers/sisters in Christ, that The Father is their Father too and that heaven is going to be one amazing family reunion!

No comments: